The philosophy of athletics at Pennington
The Pennington School believes that athletic participation is an integral part of a secondary school education. Pennington has superb student athletes and championship teams, led by coaches who embrace the opportunity to imbue their athletes with the School’s core values, of honor, virtue, and humility, and to prepare students for success on and off the field.
Regardless of their perceived ability, all students are welcomed into the School’s athletic program, where they have an opportunity to form new friendships and gain valuable skills. Through participation in sports, students experience countless lessons in discipline, teamwork, adversity, and perseverance that translate well to the classroom and beyond. Under the instruction of Pennington’s distinguished coaching staff, students learn that the true measure of success in athletics is not statistics, but instead the joys of competing and striving to achieve team and personal goals. By bettering themselves as individuals each day, students thereby improve their teams and enrich the experiences of those around them.
Pennington’s athletic staff also recognizes that, even for the most dedicated student athletes, sports are only one component of a well-rounded student. The athletic program’s purpose is to help all students develop skills and values they can bring to the classroom and community, delivering the same enthusiasm and dedication they demonstrate in competitive athletics.
Aims and objectives of the program
The Pennington School athletics program provides a resource for:
- A broad and varied program of activities to meet the individual interests and developmental needs of all students.
- Activities which contribute to the development and retention of optimum physical shape by encouraging total fitness:physical, emotional, intellectual, and social.
- Activities which provide the highly-skilled as well as the novice athlete opportunity to participate in activities on a level appropriate to his/her ability.
- Activities within which individuals will be motivated to attain the highest level of skill and excellence desired, while gaining an understanding of individual abilities.
- Opportunities for each student to participate in and develop his/her abilities in activities through a sequential progression of learning.
- Opportunities for recreation and fun as well as a resource for future recreational goals.
- An understanding of the rules essential to participating in an activity and recognition of the value of conforming to those rules.
- An understanding and recognition of the value in a cooperative team effort.
- Developing a positive attitude of sportsmanship by playing by the rules, being courageous in weakness, controlling one’s strength, and being appreciative, respectful, considerate, and honest with teammates, adversaries, coaches, officials, and oneself.
- Developing self-discipline.
The aims and objectives for each team are developed by and reflect the views of the coaches involved, authorities in the field, and the administration of the School.