Pennington Dress Code
We believe that the expectations we have for our students are reflected in our standards for academic performance, behavior, and dress. In keeping with the ethos and traditions of the Pennington community, students are expected to dress respectfully and in a way consistent with the seriousness of the setting. Any ostentatious, outrageous, or provocative clothing is inappropriate and violates the spirit of the dress code. In an effort to standardize and simplify the dress code, we have developed a “unified” look for students. Parents are asked to support our dress code by encouraging the students to purchase the appropriate and properly fitted clothing and by monitoring their adherence to the guidelines. The following descriptions of dress cover the guidelines of our dress code. They must be worn throughout the day from 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Clothing or styles not listed below are not considered part of our School dress and, therefore, should not be worn.
Upper School Daily Dress Code
- Solid-color, classic fit khaki-style pants or similar style dress pants, with button-down dress shirt with a collar and sleeves or a polo-style long- or short-sleeved shirt (with no logo or a small logo only) or
- Skirt no shorter than fingertip-length, with button-down dress shirt with a collar and sleeves or a polo-style long- or short-sleeved shirt (with no logo or a small logo only)
- Dresses are not permitted; This is a senior privilege.
- A blazer, sweater, 3/4 zip, or Pennington sweatshirt (no hood) may be worn over a dress code shirt.
- All footwear except for flip flops and sandals is allowed.
- Sport shorts, sweatpants, leggings, spaghetti straps, tank tops, denim, ripped garments, hoodies, and spandex (unless worn under the outfit) are not permitted.
- Baseball hats are not permitted during the academic day. Winter hats may be worn outdoors during colder weather but must be removed when indoors.
Upper School Daily Variation for Chapel/Special Events
• With daily dress code pants, wear a button-down dress shirt, tie, and belt, or
• Daily dress code skirt and collared dress shirt, or dress
Middle School Daily Dress Code
Skirts, skorts, and pants with a “Pennington polo” (a short- or long-sleeve polo shirt with the Pennington “split-P” embroidered onto it). Pennington polos are available at the Campus Store, by ordering through Lands’ End, or taking polos to an embroiderer with the School-provided “split-P” graphic.
Skirts and skorts should be no shorter than fingertip-length with no cut-outs. Shorts (spandex or other) must be worn under skirts for Middle School students.
Students may wear Bermuda shorts on designated days to be determined based on weather or activity.
All footwear except for flip flops and sandals is allowed.
Sweaters, cardigans, fleeces, 3/4 zips, and Pennington crew neck sweatshirts may be worn over the polo.
Baseball hats are not permitted during the academic day. Winter hats may be worn outdoors during colder weather but must be removed when indoors.
A cost-effective and simple way to stock up on Pennington polos is to visit the Parents for Pennington (PfP) polo table during LAUNCH and on the first days of school. It is very well stocked with gently used Pennington polos of all sizes, cuts, and colors. For a $10 donation, you can take as many polos as you need.
To purchase and embroider your polos through the Lands’ End School Uniform Contribution Program, contact Lands’ End (800–469–2222 or email@example.com) to order through the catalog using the School’s Preferred Account Number: 9000–5454–5. If you prefer to go local, Fancy Threads (609-466-0050) in Hopewell can embroider your polos (purchased separately) as well.