The award-winning Tesla String Quartet will be the ensemble-in-residence at The Pennington School from May 1 through May 4. The ensemble, named after the late, great inventor Nikola Tesla, known for designing the alternating current system that powers America, will be performing a concert in the Wesley Forum on May 4, in honor of Star Wars Day ("May the force (fourth) be with you!"). They will be finishing off a week of performances, master classes, sectionals, rehearsals, and class visits at The Pennington School.
On their website, www.teslaquartet.com, the Quartet cites this quotation from Nikola Tesla for selecting their name: "Though free to think and act, we are held together, like the stars in the firmament, with ties inseparable. These ties cannot be seen, but we can feel them."
This statement sums up the bond between musicians in a small chamber ensemble as well as that between people listening to music. During their residency at Pennington, it is hoped that the instrumentalists in our music program are inspired to further develop this bond between one another and the greater campus community.
Events will include:
- A performance at the arts-themed Upper School Chapel on May 1
- A performance/talk for arts-focused students on May 3 during Special
- Sectionals and a rehearsal with the Pennington School Orchestra on May 3 and 4
- Classroom visits with Middle School Instrumental Ensemble, Music Technology, Music Theory, and AP Music Theory
- Master classes with student chamber groups (small ensembles)
- A performance for the public at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, May 4, in the Wesley Forum of the Kenneth Kai Tai Yen Humanities Building
You are cordially invited to the final performance Friday evening, which will be during Freshman Fun Night (an event for students only). Music for two violins, viola, and cello has been a mainstay for the development of classical music since the time of Mozart and Haydn. Please come, listen to, and enjoy a reception with these world-class musicians, made possible through the generosity of an anonymous donor.